Here at LMP, we love working with referral talent. Our founders trust their employees and their connections with other professionals in our industry, and they’re always open to speaking with experienced individuals to see if they’re a good fit. That was exactly the case with Katti Betterton.
LMP wasn’t looking to hire a new employee this quarter, but when I pitched Katti, my longtime writing friend and seasoned SEO expert from college, to our founders as a must-have part of our team, they agreed to schedule a virtual introductory meeting with her. Within just a few weeks, that meeting led to the hiring of our new part-time SEO writer.
In addition to her work at LMP, Katti works a full-time job in digital marketing and pursues her dream of becoming an author in her spare time. (Does this girl even sleep?!)
We asked Katti a few questions about her experience with SEO, her writing goals, and how she gets her day started each morning.
1. What’s your favorite part of SEO?
I love the theory behind SEO: that through thoughtful strategizing with a searcher’s intent in mind, business owners can help potential customers find exactly what they’re looking for, even if they don’t know a business’s name. SEO work is paramount to creating the thrill of finding that perfect result on Google, and I love each part of that process.
2. How has SEO helped improve your own writing?
Search-optimized content is different from “normal” blog or page content as it’s strategically written to send certain signals to Google (while also being comprehensive and engaging for users). Writing SEO-driven pieces has influenced my writing style by developing a more purposeful voice and creating content that’s relatable, engaging, and informative.
3. What made you want to become a writer?
I was a voracious reader as a child and loved to create. I sort of fell into writing in late elementary/early middle school when writing assignments weren’t enough for me to tell the stories I wanted to tell, and I realized how much I enjoyed writing.
4. Aside from being a part-time SEO writer for LMP, what’s your next big career goal?
My biggest writing goal in the next 3 to 5 years is to sign with a literary agent and go on submission with my current book: an adult sci-fi Anastasia retelling set in a world where blood is currency.
5. What does your morning routine look like?
My husband’s in med school, so we get up between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. and get ready for the day. We love challenges and have started dunking our heads in ice-cold water for 10 seconds every morning! After that, I do a few morning chores — take the dog out, do dishes, run mail to the mailbox — before starting my full-time job at 8 a.m.
- Texting or talking?: Talking
- Night owl or early bird?: Neither… is there such a thing as a midday lark??
- Introvert or extrovert?: Extrovert! #ENFP
- Beach or mountains?: Mountains all the way
- If your name was at the top of a list, what would be the title of that list?: People Below 5’ Tall Who Can Eat An Absurdly Large Amount of Candy and Chocolate Within 5 Minutes
- Favorite season: Autumn, without a doubt (Thanksgiving food, anyone?)
- A book you can’t stop talking about: Because I just read it, The Folk of Air series by Holly Black is incredible for fantasy lovers. For contemporary YA fans, I highly recommend Some Place Like Home.
- First song that would be on the soundtrack of your life: “All I Have” by NF
- Superpower of your choosing: Lame superpower I’d love: never forgetting why I walked into a room. Cool, Marvel-esque superpower: teleportation.
- Your go-to motto: Plus est en vous (“There is more in you.”)
Meet the rest of the Lightning Media Partners team here!