Here at LMP, we love working with referral talent. Our founders trust their employees and their connections with other professionals in our industry, and they’re always open to speaking with experienced individuals to see if they’re a good fit. That was exactly the case with Katarina (Katti) Betterton.
LMP wasn’t looking to hire a new employee in Q1 of this year, but when I pitched Katti, my longtime writing friend and seasoned SEO expert from college, to our founders as a must-have part of our team, they agreed to schedule a virtual meeting with her. A few weeks later, Katti was hired as our part-time SEO writer, which quickly evolved into a full-time SEO specialist role.
When she’s not working at LMP, Katti pursues her dream of becoming an author in her spare time. (Does this girl even sleep?!)
We asked Katti a few questions about her experience with SEO, her writing goals, and how she gets her day started each morning.
1. What’s your favorite part of SEO?
I love the theory behind SEO: that through thoughtful strategizing with a searcher’s intent in mind, business owners can help potential customers find exactly what they’re looking for, even if they don’t know a business’s name. SEO work is paramount to creating the thrill of finding that perfect result on Google, and I love each part of that process.
2. How has SEO helped improve your own writing?
SEO-optimized content is different from “normal” blog or page content as it’s strategically written to send certain signals to Google (while also being comprehensive and engaging for users). Writing SEO-driven pieces has influenced my writing style by developing a more purposeful voice and creating content that’s relatable, engaging, and informative.
3. What made you want to become a writer?
I was a voracious reader as a child and loved to create. I sort of fell into writing in late elementary/early middle school when writing assignments weren’t enough for me to tell the stories I wanted to tell, and I realized how much I enjoyed writing.
4. What’s your next big professional goal?
My biggest writing goal in the next 3-5 years is to sign with a literary agent and go on submission with my current book: an adult sci-fi Anastasia retelling set in a world where blood is currency.
5. What does your morning routine look like?
My husband’s in med school, so we get up between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. and get ready for the day. We love challenges and have started dunking our heads in ice cold water for 10 seconds every morning! After that, I do a few morning chores — take the dogs out, do dishes, run mail to the mailbox — before starting my work for the day.
6. How do you feel about being part of the #LMPTribe?
Since the moment I started, the energy of the company and my coworkers has been both infectious and motivating — a culture I haven’t encountered in any workplace before, which is especially unique because the entire team is remote! Furthermore, the opportunity to go full-time with LMP not only brings me closer to my professional goals, but also allows the work-life balance I’ve been seeking to spend more time with my med-student husband (hello, third-year rotations!) and two pups.
7. What’s your main career goal at LMP?
My main career goal at LMP is to grow in my digital marketing knowledge and skills. LMP allows each of us to grow in the verticals we’re most passionate about and supports us with tools, education, resources, and more. For me, that’s SEO, paid advertising, and optimized content creation. In three to five years, I see myself helping our writers in coming to a deeper understanding of all things SEO to provide an even bigger value to our clients than we do now.
1. Texting or talking?: Talking
2. Night owl or early bird?: Neither… is there such a thing as a midday lark??
3. Introvert or extrovert?: Extrovert! #ENFP
4. Beach or mountains?: Mountains all the way
5. If your name was at the top of a list, what would be the title of that list?: The List of People Below 5’ Tall Who Can Eat An Absurdly Large Amount of Candy and Chocolate Within 5 Minutes
6. Favorite season: Autumn, without a doubt (Thanksgiving food, anyone?)
7. A book you can’t stop talking about: Because I just read it, The Folk of Air series by Holly Black is incredible for fantasy lovers. For contemporary YA fans, I highly recommend Some Place Like Home.
8. First song that would be on the soundtrack of your life: “All I Have” by NF
9. Superpower of your choosing: Lame superpower I’d love: never forgetting why I walked into a room. Cool, Marvel-esque superpower: teleportation.
10. Your go-to motto: Plus est en vous (“There is more in you.”)