If you know anything about Lightning Media Partners, you know we love referral talent. Meet Lauren Wingo, another talented writer I referred to LMP after working with her in college through Her Campus.
Lauren started with LMP as a freelance writer in 2019, then moved up to retainer, and is now our newest Staff Writer! We’ve loved watching her grow professionally with us, and we are so proud to have her as part of our team in a more permanent role!
Get to know Lauren better in this Q&A:
1. What made you want to become a writer?
I’ve been writing since I was young. I have dozens of old journals where I wrote every little thing that was happening. It really helped me comb through my thoughts. I wrote for Her Campus in college and fell in love with writing inspirational content and weaving in my own personal stories. Getting started with LMP and quitting my 9-to-5 brought my dream of a writing career to life.
2. How has LMP helped you grow as a writer?
LMP has only enhanced my writing. Having the opportunity to write for different brands and businesses helped me create a fluid writing style while still having my own voice. The edits and feedback I’ve received on my work has been invaluable. I’ve been able to sharpen my sentences and words while growing as a writer with LMP – it’s been wonderful.
3. Tell us about your past professional experience and how it has shaped you today.
After my stint as an editor-in-chief with Her Campus, I went straight into the world of business development with a defense contractor. I learned by working closely with proposal managers and understanding the business from the backend. I then became a contracted analyst with the government. The various opportunities there gave me a new perspective and outlook on writing. However, it also showed me exactly what I didn’t want to do with my life, so to speak.
After I left and started working with LMP, I opened myself up to so many opportunities I wasn’t able to fathom in the government contractor bubble I was in. I wouldn’t trade my past experiences for anything – they’ve built on each other. As I move forward in my disjointed career, I’m realizing I have so many pieces to fit together that only enhance my future endeavors.
4. Describe your ideal workday routine.
Waking up fairly early to make tea, stretch, meditate, and maybe do a yoga practice. Then head to my makeshift work desk (kitchen table) and start work for LMP and the startup I’m a part of! I’d also have to fit a walk or some time outside into my day. I love taking my work outside on my patio when it’s nice out.
My ideal morning looks so different from what I actually do, which is just roll out of bed and head to my computer! But I can’t forget my tea, ever.
5. What’s your biggest career goal?
I would love to be an author one day. I have a few ideas I’m working on! Other than that, I want to continually have experiences, learn from others, and grow overall as a writer.
- Coffee or tea? Lately it’s been tea – Earl Grey with honey, lavender water, and oat milk changed my life.
- Sun or moon? Always sun!
- What song describes your life? Definitely “Exothermic” by Faouzia. The piano version gets me every time.
- Most-used emoji? The crying emoji. It’s just a mood lately.
- Ice cream or fro-yo? I’m going to be weird and say frozen custard.
- Favorite season? I’m all about fall, y’all.
- Random fact about you? I love to bake and decorate cakes! I used to make them for my office coworkers when I was at my 9-5 and had the honor of making my friend’s wedding cake. Baking is so therapeutic for me.
- Fiction or nonfiction? Historical fiction!
- Books or movies? Books usually every time!
- Favorite quote? I have so many but this one has stuck with me through the years: “Nothing haunts us like the things we don’t say.” – Mitch Albom
Get to know the rest of the Lightning Media Partners team here!